Translate

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Spirit is willing but ooh my aching back........

Well, it's been a long time since my last post, but keep reading and you'll find out why. First, I have three buildings this year, two with an artroom, one of which is new(remodeled/repurposed). The newish room is my home school/home base and is FULL to exploding with stuff I need to purge(not by choice, but because my principal has decided I have too much "stuff", oy vey.......). For a year we were in an alternate site while the building underwent a $9 million dollar remodel. My art room was switched from one end of the building to the other and is oddly shaped with a huge set of windows in the half round(wasted space!!) Anyway, I had to pack up two  buildings art rooms last Spring; one because of the remodel and the other because I was transferred to another bulding and had to empty the room because another school was moving in while their building undergoes a yearlong remodel.!! I digress. After I was back in the newish artroom, I had to store about 50 boxes of materials that came from the building I had to vacate and while I was storing them in an awesome storage room that had been created in the remodeled building,I was adjusting shelves in said storage room and got some undetected splinters in my middle finger, right hand. About 5 days later I was at the "Doc in a Box" minor medical receiving 5 SHOTS into the top of my finger to try to numb it!! My finger was so infected the tip was the size of a walnut! I really don't like the word, pus, but let me tell you, the Doc pulled out a syringe full of it!!! Gag! I have never felt such pain, but I have to tell you the relief when he drained the abcess was HEAVEN! Note to self:WEAR GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH WOOD!!!
Back to my aching back. About 6:00 PM tonite while I was trying to get my materials ready to travel to building #3 tomorrow, my Principal stopped in my room and told me it looked like a "disaster area" and I needed to get it cleaned up and cleared out! The nerve! I like her but she just doesn't understand art. So I stayed until 8:00, throwing and hiding stuff. Oh, she did get me brand new art tables today so I guess she's not that bad. Next post, the "other" artroom at the constantly flooding building.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat,
I feel for you! First you have "too much stuff" (not spoken from an Art teacher...) and then a splinter, and THEN "get the place cleaned up!?" I think some people just don't understand the spirit of the Art teacher.
I wish you well in your new digs. Have a great year! Cynthia S.

Mr. E said...

hey..go back and look at my reply to your comment!!! ha ha ha

Phyl said...

How's your finger now? I imagine you around school with a giant bandage on your middle finger - not the bet way to start a school year.

Meanwhile, keep hiding that "junk" that your principal doesn't like - you never know when it will come in handy!

Pat said...

Hey Y'all,

The finger is back to normal size and I am pain free-well until I get to school tomorrow and have to tangle with the principal who is anal retentive, micro-managing and a busy body to boot! I have decided to invite my union rep to attend this "meeting" after school where the principal thinks she's going to be tossing out my stuff! I know this is a calculated risk as she might hold a grudge, but gosh darnit, she needs to mind her own business! I will post pictures of the new artroom soon! Thanks for the well wishes.

dmasse said...

stay strong lady! how did the meeting go anywho???

Pat said...

Well, my principal looked like a deer caught in the headlights when she walked into my room that afternoon and I had not one but TWO union reps with me. They sat totally silent and took down everything that was said. She was not happy and it showed. She walked around the room, in and out of every storage area and the kiln room and kept saying that I had too much of everything and that I had to transfer a lot of it to my other buildings(one of which I'm on a cart,DUH! lots of storage there, and to the other building where I am using a 1st grade room this year and there is 0 storage.)Anywho, the next day she hands me HER notes and asks me to sign two copies and keep one.....Bet that's going in my "file"! End result, my belongings are scattered all over the district and I'm going to have to try and keep track of them! Thanks for everyone's support!

Anonymous said...

I had a similar thing happen to me. I received an email from my principal when I was out sick and she had to cover my room for a few minutes, because they pulled my sub. Anywho I was teaching gifted 3rd-5thand 6th, 7th and 8th for a special project and also art k-4 and 5th and 6th. I had a $200 for art and none for TAG. She said she was concerned about the amount of stuff I had. They had put me into one room from two, so TAG and Art stuff was altogether. I had everything in bins and cabinets, but a lot of stuff. What really got me is that she had sent the email to the other principal and my super. I told the other principal I would throw it all out and just draw and he was like no, no don't do that. Go figure.