Translate

Saturday, December 10, 2011

PreHistoric Stone Age Necklace Design

I always love this project! My second grade students get to hear the story, The Cave Painter of Lascaux, and see photos of PreHistoric totems and "jewelry". I demonstrate how to make different shaped beads using Stonex, air dry clay. I model a round, barrel, square, Saber tooth, and animal/bird/fish bead. I know it's risky to let kids this young use a needle tool, but injuries are almost non-existent! I show them how to push and twist the needle  through each bead to leave a hole large enough to push a piece of cord through when they are painted and dry.

What you are seeing the students work on are lids from ice cream tubs that were donated YEARS ago and I just keep using them (less styrofoam plates in the landfill!)














During the second class, students paint each bead with brown and black watercolor, making sure that enough water is used to turn the colors tan and gray. Immediately following painting, as they dry quite quickly, each bead is coated with Gloss Medium. Make sure to put the brushes in hot, soapy water to get all of the gloss medium out!



I caution the kids to not make their Saber tooth beads too skinny  on the ends so they won't break off (there are ALWAYS a couple of fatalities......)

I tell the students that they can add texture to their beads with the ends of their needle tools or anything that they can press or stamp into the clay.

The last session, students are given wooden beads to alternate stringing with their clay beads. They put them on and there are huge smiles all around! Some years I use good black cord and this year all I had was some black string that the kids said was itchy.........O well, at least they kept them on until the last bell as I saw many of them wearing them out the door!







Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Mr. E said...

OK...the pic at the top with the kitty...CRAZY CUTE! You are too funny. Ya gotta come to Nashville & hang out sometime. -Mr.E

Phyl said...

I'm with Mr. E - love the new photo with the cat. The necklaces are cool - especially the addition of a saber tooth...

I also agree with Mr. E - come to the Adirondacks! (or maybe we all need to go to Nashville).

Pat said...

You guys!! Wouldn't it be great to hang out and swap war stories? I am seriously considering trying to make it to National in March. Any takers?

Meow!

Ms. Amy said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. LOVE yours!!! And, seriously, I love this project. I'm not currently teaching elementary. But, I know my elementary kids from last year would have LOVED this!!

Pat said...

Thank you, Ms. Amy!

Mr. E said...

Ya'll need to come during the TACA arts and crafts festival here...so awesome!

Pat said...

Just looked up the TACA Festival Ted. Looks awesome! Got a spare couch? Ha!

Nellie Mae said...

Those are so awesome! I be the kids treasure them, especially the boys. I'm always looking for good ideas that appeal to boys....especially jewelry! LOVE THIS!!!

Pat said...

Thanks, Nellie Mae! I just love Stonex clay because it is so easy to work with and it's air-dry! Yay!