Translate

Friday, February 24, 2012

Art Teacher Workshop Fun Day

Today I hosted an Art Teacher Workshop for teachers from Southwest Iowa. What an amazing, fun day! There were many comments about how refreshing it is to meet with like minded people who understand just exactly what you do. We all agreed that we tend to be the teachers who work alone, most of us, as schools don't often have more than one art teacher in a building. We had a nice turnout (who traveled snowy, icy roads to get to the workshop!) We started our day with a lesson on Viking Knitting to make bracelets. It was frustrating but ultimately very cool and I look forward to taking classes to learn more about this unique form of jewelry design. Sandy Wentworth was the presenter and she does beautiful work. She is a retired art teacher who has created a booming business with her jewelry.

Sandy helping Curt with his Viking Weaving.

I'm the tall one with pink and black pom poms on my head in honor of the upcoming movie, The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss. They were supposed to look like the truffalo's (trees) in the book. I had a pink and black theme for the day. My vertically challenged friend, Liz Lyons, was the one who dreamed up this workshop 5 years ago. She is the Energizer Bunny of Art Teachers, and she presented her lesson on Pewter Casting-WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!! I'll post pictures of the pendant I made next week.




I demonstrated shaving cream marbeling and it was a hit! Even the High School people were grooving on this project! We used liquid watercolors in little spray bottles and I have to say the metallic gold was very popular. Will post pic's later.


Everyone brought salads and desserts and dips and chips so we had a FABULOUS luncheon. It always amazes me that there are so many different salads with no two alike!


I had everyone throw their names in a bucket and I had put together three gift bags of art supplies to give away, and also gave each participant a mini watercolor pad. I think everyone had a good time and look forward to meeting again next year. In case you were wondering, our district was out of school today for vacation so that's how I was able to have the workshop at my building.

8 comments:

dmasse said...

well done! congrats to you on hosting the workshop. i hope you have a relaxing weekend:)

Patty Palmer said...

This looks like so much fun! I would love to do something like that in california!

Mrs. C said...

That looks like it was all sooo much fun! Were you all able to get professional development hours for it? Where did you get the demonstrators? Were they other art teachers or local artisans? Great idea! looks like it went very well! Kudos! :)

Pat said...

Mrs. C,

We're just a bunch of art teachers who like to get together and share ideas and art projects. Anyone who wanted to present a lesson was welcome. People brought 20 copies of a favorite lesson plan to share as well as student examples of those lessons.

artteachergirl said...

We were doing the same thing last Friday here in GA. Ours, however, was a Professional Learning Day for our school system. They call it that for the regular classroom teachers...we Art Teachers call it Play Day. No one is aware of the fun we have on those days, sharing projects, learning, venting and just playing. Our presenters were from Mayco clay so we had a Clay good time. So wonderful to spend a day with your own kind:-) Looks like y'all had a great day too!!

Phyl said...

Wow, this sounds so awesome Pat. It's nice that you have a network of teachers that you can do this with. JEALOUS!!! Everything you did looks like fun - and thanks for sharing a current photo of yourself too.

Just curious - how far did people travel to attend? Our rural schools and neighborhoods are very spread apart geographically.

Pat said...

@artteachergirl,
So cool we were playing on the same day!I think I will try to get a company rep for a clay company for next year. We've always just presented lessons to each other, but having a professional come in would be awesome! I think I mentioned the fact that this was a totally voluntary gathering (on a VACATION DAY no less!)but your group calls it a Professional Learning Day?That means y'all got paid and we didn't! LOL

Carole said...

Good blog. My favourite art gallery is the Musee D'Orsay in Paris http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/12/musee-dorsay.html