Translate

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Collaborative Paper Sculpture

I saw this project a long time ago on a blog but I deleted the photo if it accidentally. I changed a few things and my 4/5 combo kids had a ball creating these paper sculptures.


This group of girls was particularly enthusiastic and insisted on arranging and rearranging the boxes until they liked the way it looked before I could hot glue them onto some foam core board I'd painted with black acrylic paint.

I had the students create a simple box pattern that started out like one of those fortune teller foldups us "mature folk" will remember! Ha! Then I finally got to use two gallon baggies full of neon color 1/2 inch paper strips I had laying around forever. When I brought out the paper crimpers you would have thought Justin Bieber had walked into the room! Who new a simple art tool could inspire such excitement? Go figure.........




I was installing the display at school #3 the night of Parent Teacher conferences and there were a lot of OOh's and Ahhh's! One parent told me she worked at the local University Medical Center and there was a sculpture there similar to ours but she liked ours better! WooHoo! Doesn't get much better than that, right? And here is my attempt at Leaning Tower of Pizza humor because I found this photo when dining at a new restaurant last night-

P.S. I still don't know how to "link back" to other people's blogs, but I did find the name of the teacher who inspired our paper box collaborative sculptures and her name is, Elizabeth Williams. I found her on Flickr.

4 comments:

Mr. R said...

I just started that project with my 3rd grades. But we are taking a out nevlson. Don't think I spell that right. I think that are going to have a great time with it. I am only giving them one color to make all the stuff in there box. Well we see how it goes.

Janis said...

What a colorful idea!

Anonymous said...

Check out www.deepspacesparkle.com She talks about how to "link back" Might have to search for it:P Nice sculptures by the way! _Doug

Pat said...

Thanks, Doug!