Translate

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Swirl by Swirl, Spirals in Nature

Found a cool new book while web browsing on Amazon. Swirl by Swirl, Spirals in Nature, is a beautifully written and illustrated  book that is chock full of spirals, some that surprised me. I read the book to my Kinders and then we decorated a snake pattern/template. This lesson has so many great components: teaching spirals, cutting on curved lines, creating texture on the snakes. The kids had fun "bouncing" the snakes after they were cut out!



Here are a few student examples,





8 comments:

Art Project Girl said...

Great book! I did this too this year and it was such a HIT! I agree there is so many ideas you can explore with using this simply spiral as a spring board.

Phyl said...

I've never seen this book, but it looks fabulous - I love the page you showed! As an avid doodler, the spiral is always my starting point. I haven't made snakes yet this year - this is a good reminder of an easy project for those crazy days!

Kristyn DeMint said...

I just saw this book on Pinterest and added it to my wishlist. I love the spiral and have fun doing it with my students :)

tinyartroom said...

I did this lesson last year and added a printmaking element to it by having them use bubble wrap and paint to create the "scales". They were beautiful!http://tinyartroom.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bubble-wrap-printmaking/

Rachel said...

Do you do the sharpie template yourself or let the kids draw them? Great project by the way!

Pat said...

Rachel, I make copies of the original snake template for the kids­čśÄ

Snippety Gibbet said...

https://artsublessons.blogspot.com/2017/02/swirl-by-swirl-spirals-in-nature.html

I hope you don't mind. I put up a link to this blog post at my blog, Art Sub Lessons. I think it would work nicely for a sub. Jan

Pat said...

Not at all! Glad you enjoyed the lesson!