Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Australian Aboriginal Designs Gr. 1-5

We used  a limited color palette
when creating the background for our X-ray animals
The colors for the background are Tan, Brown, Black and Gray
These students are 4th graders and are working on X-ray critter
projects

 
Part 1 for thr 2nd grade X-ray animal
project
Third grade Boomerang Designs

Blogger won't let me rotate this but
it is the finished project
Step 2 is to paint with a white tempera
and glue mixture and then scrape designs on
thesurface with paint scrapers


 
My boomerang example


Outline drawings for 1st grade
Didgeridoos                             
                                                                                                  
Drawings were then outlined and filled in with colorful marker dots
 
 
This is a stingray
 
Then we will cut them out and glue them
onto their painted tubes                          
                                                                                                                           
                                                         
                                                                          
This is a turtle                          


 

This is the Didgeridoo I bought




 

A standing view
 




Styrofoam printing plates carved with inkpen
 A Mimi figure found on rock walls in
Australia

Tiwi Island Fabric design by the 5th grade starts aith a watercolor
background of multicolor wet on wet painting



These examples are ones that I saved from the firsr year I created this unit. When my students have completed their projects, I will post lots of photos. Blogger really gave me a hard time with the placement of these photos so I apologize if it seems disjointed!

                 

6 comments:

Elizabeth - Dream Painters said...

I do like your scraped glue/white paint idea - very effective! I've also done Australian art this week, but with a different approach :) I especially like your mimi figures and tiwi island printmaking - really getting off the beaten track!

Pat said...

This is my favorite project from the whole unit, Elizabeth!

:)Pat

coralvssalmon said...

Can not wait to see the Tiwi student work. I love the print over watercolor effect. Very striking.

Miss said...

Agree with the above comment by coralvssalmon- cannot WAIT for the details on the "Tiwi Island Fabric Design". I've never seen anything like it before and it looks spectacular!

dmasse said...

WOW! These are really cool. I love the idea of printing over top of the watercolor. Very striking:)

Pat said...

We will be printing the Tiwi Island "fabric" this week and I promise to take photos for a post!