Translate

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Thursdays for Teachers

Once a month, during the school year, our art museum sponsors an evening for teachers. We have a lovely selection of hors d'oeuvres, cash bar, soft drinks etc. We pre-register for the workshops that we want to attend and then have guest lecturers. After the lecture, we split up into different groups for hands on workshops (make and take) as well as gallery walks with docents. This month's subject was Dia de los Muertos, and the Mexican Cultural Center from Omaha,NE came to present a wonderful performance on the meaning  and traditions of the Day of the Dead. I wish I could have filmed their performance as it was beautiful dance and spoken word. here are some photos of the performers, including, Catrina, the beautiful Calavera herself!



Pretty cool, huh?

 
 I feel very fortunate that we have such generous sponsors for Thursdays for teachers. Every month, the theme varies and always includes reproductions from works in the museum's permanent collection. I got to make an aluminum foil (36 guage) Calaca, or skull with wooden embossing tools and permanent markers. I will post a photo of that project tomorrow.

4 comments:

Phyl said...

Wow. Fabulous. What museum is this? Is it mostly art teachers who attend or a more eclectic bunch? And is that a Chihuly I see behind the performers? It sounds like such a wonderful opportunity - do many teachers take advantage of this? Is it mostly the same ones who attend or do the attendees tend to attend sporadically? I swear, I'd write it on my calendar and be there every time!

Meanwhile - those performers look spectacular - I love the makeup!

Mrs. Impey said...

That's awesome! I'm just finishing up a Day of the Dead project with my 6th graders!

www.artroom104.blogspot.com

Elizabeth - Dream Painters said...

Aren't you lucky! What a wonderful FUN way to do PD! I don't know what the system is in America, but in Australia we have to do a given number of hours to maintain teacher registration... wouldn't be at all a task if we had stuff like this!

tinyartroom said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous! I love this!!! I work with the spanish club at my school and we are celebrating Dia De Los Muertos next tuesday with face painting, sugar skulls, and yarn painting!