Translate

Thursday, December 13, 2012

What a difference a week makes!

Last Thursday was a terrible awful no good day in art at school #2. I really, seriously thought about putting in my papers for retirement if it meant I never had to go back there. I had everything from surly, nasty attitude 5th graders to a head swiveling, bi-polar 4th grader who I had to remove from the art room.I was exhausted! So a few days go by, the memory starts to fade and then, WHAM! It's Thursday again. So I met the offending classes in the hallway OUTSIDE of the artroom and told them, en masse, that if they didn't abide by the artroom rules, I would take them back to their classroom and sit with them, heads down, until art was over. I made this speech in front of each homeroom teacher to emphasize to the kids that their teacher would be very unhappy if this were to occur during their planning time.

Flash forward to dismissal time today. Not one student sent to the office and apologies and hugs from the bi polar head swiveler! I did not inform the classroom teachers I was going to make the speech beforehand, but no one seemed upset about it.

It was a good day.

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

What is it with Thursday this year Pat? I have a couple of classes on Thursday that are just physically and mentally draining! I also for the past two classes have given them the "you will act responsibly and follow the rules of the art room or there will be NO painting this project for your class!" speech to one of my 4ths! They are COMPLETELY out of control and can not get along with each other! My kindergartens are more responsible!I have changed my seating in that class so many times it's like we are playing musical chairs! They have an excellent teacher but the general make-up of the student population in the class is explosive! I'm happy to say they did make it through the project. The first week I cleaned them up early and expressed my disappointment in their behavior of late( I have taught all of these kids since 1st grade so they knew I was not happy with them) and made them sit in silence. The holidays brings out the best and the worst in the kids! 4 and 1/2 more days until break! I'm not counting today since I have a personal day.(thank God...) Hang in there and have a great holiday! :)

Mr. E said...

My Thurs. are rough too. Mainly because of misplaced special needs children who run, scream, sing at the top of their lungs, talk back..etc & who's assistants don't help at ALL(and who's self phone goes off all the time with PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME)!

Phyl said...

Had to laugh at Mr. E's comment. While I'm not teaching any more, I remember those tough days, but I particularly remember the multitude of inappropriate classroom disruptions caused by unprofessional behavior on the part of the teaching assistants who were in the class as a 1:1with a particular student. I swear the adults are often more of a distraction than a help, and they think the rules don't apply to them. My most annoying was the constant gum chewing, gum snapper. It's bad enough that she has to chew in a room where the NO GUM rule is clearly posted, but regularly smacking and cracking? Isn't she supposed to be an adult?

Glad this week is better than last, Pat!