Translate

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Oops-a Daisy!!

I qualify for that tv show, Hoarders! Oh the shame! So, any-hoo, I rented a dumpster( A Quick Dump, LOL)to rid my house and garage of all clutter, misguided purchases and  disgusting junk.

So on one of my trips to the dumpster, there was a large patch of ice that was easy to miss because my driveway is black asphalt. , You know what happens next, right? Feet straight up, head down and crack! I had a friend who was on her way over to help with the decluttering and she called the Rescue Squad. I was in Intensive Care for two days and then they moved me to a private room. I fractured my skull, had a 2 inch laceration on my scalp, which was stapled shut WITHOUT NUMBING IT FIRST!!! 

I saw so many Dr.s and interns over those three days and have quite a few follow up appointments to deal with the aftermath. I have "fluids" surrounding my left eardrum, I have lost my sense of taste and smell. The good news is, I will be fine in a  month or so. Dr. said no driving for 6 weeks and I almost fainted! I have severe balance and dizzy spells but am taking lots of RX's to combat those issues.

The silver lining here is this, my fellow art teachers have compiled some quick and easy sub plans and have delivered them to my three schools.I feel truly blessed with the outpouring of support from family, friends and co-workers. Please, bloggy friends, be careful out there on the ice! Don't end up like me. I am staying at my Mom's house until I get my sea legs back. With her cooking and baking, I will soon be fluffier than I already am!!

17 comments:

Ronda said...

PAT! What the heck? I am so sorry to hear about your most recent injury. Wishing you only the best...LOVE YOU!

Mrs. C said...

Oh Pat! I hope you get well soon! You are blessed with such good friends to help you out like that with school! Please take care of yourself! :)

Katie Morris said...

Holy moly! Guess you're keeping things interesting. Hope you'll be much better very soon!

Phyl said...

OH. MY. GOD. Jeez Pat, you are having one hell of a year. You have a cat, don't you? Is your cat at your mom's too? Do you have ample sick time banked to help you with your time out? And and how are you going to deal with Mom's baking if you have NO SENSE OF TASTE OR SMELL!? Sounds like the easiest diet I've ever heard of. If I can't smell the garlic and onions, or the chocolate, I don't know if I'd bother to eat, and if I can't TASTE them... I just don't know. Are you expected to get those back?

I am terrified of ice - I am a klutz - and while visiting the Vermont Country Store I bought a pair of what I call my 'studded snow tires'. They slip over the shoe, like old rubber galoshes, but they literally are studded rubber on the bottom. It's too late for this time, but perhaps you should get these for when you are up and around again. I imagine your balance could be a little shaky because of your missing toes?

Glad your vision and sense of humor are intact! Please do what the doc says (and mom too) and take your time healing.

Sending you my best, Phyl

Mary said...

Oops-a Daisy?!#$% You are truly a glass half full kind of gal aren't you Pat? Holy Moly! That's awful. And I had the nerve to whine about my bad week. Please know that you have many blogger friends(me included of course) that will be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery. Take care Pat!
Mary

Jen said...

Oh my gosh Pat! I am so sorry you are having all these injuries! Get to feeling better soon!!!

Pat said...

Thanks for all of the lovely get well posts, everyone. I have my niece taking care of the cats, Phyl. Also, I had 200 sick days banked so I'm okay on that end. Can't wait to get home and sleep in my own bed!

:)Pat

Painting With Brains said...

Lady! If you don't knock it off, they're going to make some crazy stunt t.v. show about your life! No sense of smell or taste? How crazy- I never even knew that could happen. Thank goodness there's not permanent damage, you really could've been in a lot more trouble! You're so lucky to have such a great group of coworkers and family to help you out. Focus on getting better, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Heather Hyslop said...

Holy Cow! So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you feel better soon.

Rina k6art.com said...

OMG - what a year. Sounds like you've got a good attitude. Glad you are getting some TLC from colleagues, friends and family. Take it easy!

Zach Stoller said...

Get better soon! I'm glad you have such a wonderful support system to help you get through this time!

sallgood said...

Oh my!! I hope you're already feeling much better! What an ordeal you've been through. Please get well soon, and know that we're thinking of you. :D

Janis said...

Wow that is some story. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I am glad you will be making a full recovery, until then enjoy being pampered by your mom!

Sharpies, paint, and paper! Oh my! said...

Wowzers! Glad to read you are getting taken care of and work with such wonderful people!

Mrs. Carter said...

Oh my gosh! I'm always fearful someone will come to teach after I've gone and comment on the clutter in my "crafty crap" cabinet! Get well soon!

Marcia said...

Wow! I don't know how I missed this earlier post but I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.

dmasse said...

Dang girl! So sorry to read about your fall:( Glad to read that you are back on the move and slingin paint with your students:)